Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage Short Course
With a focus on the technology of dry and semi-dry sausage processing, short course topics range from lectures on basic meat science to demonstrations of processing techniques. Speakers, nationally and internationally recognized authorities in their fields, will provide information about the latest technology available.
Since the enrollment in this short course is limited to 60, you will have ample opportunity to have your questions answered directly by the speakers and staff. Iowa State University's modern meat laboratory facilities allow you to observe demonstrations in a setting that provides access to the latest technology.
- Classification of dry and semi-dry sausage
- Chemistry of dry and semi-dry Sausage
- Use of Starter cultures
- Use of acidulants
- Drying, smoking and cooking
- Basic meat science
- Nonmeat ingredients
- Dry sausage production
- Semi-dry sausage production
- Casings for dry and semi-dry sausage
- Microbiology of dry and semi-dry sausage
This short course is designed for persons with supervisory production, and technical responsibilities in commercial meat processing operations. It will also provide valuable information for those in marketing and suppliers industries.
Registration for the 2021 Basic Sausage Short Course will open on Monday, February 15, 2021. at 9:00 a.m. CST. watch this site for details.
The registration fee for the Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage Short Course is $975.00. After Marc 23, 2021, the fee will be $1,025.00. This fee includes course materials, lunch each day and refreshment breaks. Included is transportation provided by Iowa State University to and from the Des Moines Airport, as well as between the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center, Ames, and the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory.
Location and Shuttle
The Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage Short Course will be held at the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory. Parking is not available near the Meat Laboratory so a shuttle bus will transport you between Gateway Hotel and Conference Center and the Meat Laboratory. If you will be staying at a hotel other than Gateway, it will be your responsibility to meet the shuttle departing from Gateway each morning at 7:30 a.m.
The course will begin with registration at 8:00 a.m., Tuesday, April 13, 2021, at the ISU Meat Laboratory. It will conclude with at noon on Thursday, April 15, 2021.
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. with an optional evening social
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. with an optional evening social
Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. If you are flying, you should not book your departure time prior to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 16, 2020.
Breakfast: included with your hotel room at Gateway (if you made your reservation outside of the Dry & Semi-Dry block, breakfast may not be included in the price), you will receive a voucher at check-in. In addition, fresh fruit, bagels, assorted donuts and pastries, cereal bars, orange juice, coffee, soda and water will be available at the Meat Laboratory.
Lunch: will be provided on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Breaks: coffee, soda, bottled water and snacks will be available all day at the Meat Laboratory.
Evening Receptions: hosted bar and appetizers on Tuesday and Wednesday evening at the Gateway Hotel.
A block of sleeping rooms has been reserved at the headquarters hotel with a rate of $113.00 per night plus taxes, including breakfast each day:
Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
2100 Green Hills Drive
Ames, Iowa 50014
Phone: (515) 292-8600 Indicate you are attending the Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage Short Course.
Online: click here to reserve your room online.
Please make your reseervations before Marc 23, 2021 to guarantee a room at the conference rate.Reservations made after the deadline are subject to room availability.
Download the 2021 Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage Short Course brochure.
Shuttle service will also be available between Ames and the Des Moines International Airport. Sign up for the shuttle service to and from the airport on the registration form. A shuttle will return you to the Des Moines Airport in time for a 3:00 p.m. or later departure. Following are a few things to note regarding this service:
- If you have requested transportation from the Des Moines Airport to the Gateway Hotel in Ames, you will receive further information the week prior to the event
- Transportation from the Des Moines Airport to the Gateway Hotel must be requested by Tuesday, April 6, 2021
- If you have not already arranged for airport transportation and would like to do so, please contact Matt Wenger with the following information.
- Arrival Time
- We only offer the service on Monday, April 12, 2021 (Des Moines to Ames) and Thursday, April 15, 2021 (Ames to Des Moines)
- If you will be arriving or departing on alternative dates and require shuttle service, we suggest you make a reservation at a hotel near the Des Moines Airport and we will pick-up/drop-off there. Please notify us if that is your intention.
- The shuttle on Monday, April 12, 2021 is scheduled on an as needed basis.
- For those participants requesting transportation to the Des Moines International Airport, the shuttle will depart the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at 12:30 p.m. for Des Moines on Thursday,April 15, 2021.
- You should not schedule your departure flight prior to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 15, 2021..
Change in Plans
If you need to cancel your registration before March 23, 2021 you may send a substitute or you may receive a refund less a $50.00 processing fee. If you need to cancel your registration after March 23, 2021, you may send a substitute or apply your registration fee to another Processed Meats Short Course at the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory. Contact Matt Wenger or 515-294-9279.