Meat and Poultry Product Labeling 101
Iowa State University Meat Science Extension and the Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection Bureau are conducting a Meat and Poultry Product Labeling 101 class with support from the Center for Industrial Research and Service (CIRAS) and the Iowa Meat Processors Association.
This class is geared towards officially inspected state plants, custom only plants are welcome to participate if they feel it will be beneficial to their operation.
Attendees successfully completing Labeling 101 will be designated as an Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection Trained Labeling Specialist and have Expedited Labeling Privileges. In order to successfully complete Labeling 101 individuals must attend all Labeling 101 sessions on September 6 and pass an open book exam on label preparation that will be administered at the end of the program.
- Provide participants with a better understanding of how to prepare meat and poultry product label submissions
- Streamline the Iowa Meat and Poultry label approval process (Expedited Sketch Approval). The emphasis in Labeling 101 will be preparing labels for Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection review
- Assist in speeding up the Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection label approval process* in two ways
- Labels submitted to Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection for Expedited Sketch Approval must adhere to the expectations that the submission is more accurate allowing for quicker review by Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection staff
- When a label has been Expedited Sketch Approved an Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection Trained Labeling Specialist can do the final approval on that label without resubmitting it to Iowa Meat and Poultry Inspection
*Details of these processes and a list of expectations will be part of the training.
The fee will be $70 per attendee and includes materials, lunch and breaks.
There will be limited enrollment and we ask that only one representative from each establishment attend.
This certification is for the person only and not the plant. If the person leaves, the plant must revert back to original label approval method with IDALS.
Please bring with you a product formulation and a blank copy of your master label to work on during the class. If you use a laptop computer please feel free to bring that as many of the reference materials and forms are available electronically.