With a focus on the technology of sausage processing, short course topics range from lectures on basic
meat science to demonstrations of processing techniques. Speakers, nationally and internationally recognized authorities in their fields, will provide information about the latest technology available.
Enrollment for this course is limited to 60 so that participants have ample opportunities to interact with speakers and staff and have their questions answered. Iowa State University’s modern Meat Laboratory allows participants to observe demonstrations utilizing the latest technology.
- Non-meat ingredients
- Basic meat science
- Sausage emulsions
- Sausage casings
- Thermal processing
- Fresh sausage
- Cooked sausage
- Spices and flavorings
- Dry & Semi-Dry Sausage
- Microbiology of sausage and processed meats
- Packaging Systems
This short course is designed for persons with supervisory, production, and technical responsibilities in commercial meat processing operations. It will also provide valuable information for those in marketing and supplier industries.
Registration for the 2020 Basic Sausage Short Course will open on Monday, August 17, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. CST. watch this site for details.
The fee for the Basic Sausage Short Course is $975.00 per person if registered by October 20, 2020. After October 20, 2020, the fee will increase to $1,025.00 per person. The fee includes course materials, breakfast, lunch and evening social events. Local transportation and transportation between the Des Moines Airport and Gateway Hotel & Conference Center are also included.
The Basic Sausage Short Course will be held at the Iowa State University Meat Laboratory. Parking is not available near the Meat Laboratory so a shuttle bus will transport you between Gateway Hotel and Conference Center and the Meat Laboratory. If you will be staying at a hotel other than Gateway, it will be your responsibility to meet the shuttle departing from Gateway each morning at 7:30 a.m.
The course will begin with registration at 8:00 a.m., Tuesday, November 10, 2020, at the ISU Meat Laboratory. It will conclude with at noon on Thursday, November 12, 2020
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. with an optional evening social
Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. with an optional evening social
Thursday: 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. If you are flying, you should not book your departure time prior to 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 12, 2020
Breakfast: included with your hotel room at Gateway (if you made your reservation outside of the Basic Sausage block, breakfast may not be included in the price), you will receive a voucher at check-in. In addition, fresh fruit, bagels, assorted donuts and pastries, cereal bars, orange juice, coffee, soda and water will be available at the Meat Laboratory.
Lunch: will be provided on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Breaks: coffee, soda, bottled water and snacks will be available all day at the Meat Laboratory.
Evening Receptions: hosted bar and appetizers on Tuesday and Wednesday evening at the Gateway Hotel.
A block of sleeping rooms has been reserved at:
Gateway Hotel & Conference Center
2100 Green Hills Drive
Ames, Iowa 50014
Phone: (515) 292-8600 - Indicate you are attending the Basic Sausage Short Course.
Make your reservations online
Please make your reservations before October 20, 2020 to guarantee a room at the conference rate. Reservations made after the deadline are subject to room availability.
Included in your registration is optional transportation between the Des Moines Airport and the Gateway Hotel in Ames. Following are a few things to note regarding this service:
- Requests for the airport shuttle must be completed no later than Tuesday, November 3, 2020, any requests made after that date may not be accommodated.
- If you have requested transportation from the Des Moines Airport to the Gateway Hotel in Ames, you will receive further information the week prior to the event.
- If you have not already arranged for airport transportation and would like to do so, please contact Matt Wenger with the following information.
- Arrival Time
- We only offer the service on Monday, November 9, 2020 (Des Moines to Ames) and Thursday, November 12, 2020 (Ames to Des Moines)
- If you will be arriving or departing on alternative dates and require shuttle service, we suggest you make a reservation at a hotel near the Des Moines Airport and we will pick-up/drop-off there. Please notify us if that is your intention.
- The shuttle on Monday, November 9, 2020 is scheduled on an as needed basis.
- For those participants requesting transportation to the Des Moines International Airport, the shuttle will depart the Gateway Hotel & Conference Center at 12:30 p.m. for Des Moines on Thursday, November 12, 2020.
Download the 2020 Basic Sausage Short Course.
Change in Plans
If you need to cancel your registration before October 20, 2020 you may send a substitute or you may receive a refund less a $50.00 processing fee. If you need to cancel your registration after October 20, 2020, you may send a substitute or apply your registration fee to another Sausage & Processed Meats Short Course at Iowa State University. Contact Matt Wenger or 515-294-9279.